Thursday, July 22, 2010

Naming chemical compounds is driving me nuts, can someone explain me clearly how to do it?

and how to use different methods, and why!

Naming chemical compounds is driving me nuts, can someone explain me clearly how to do it?
I have a lot of trouble with this crap too lol!





First, find all of the charges. For example if you have SO2-, then S = 3 because oxygen is almost always -2 and since you have a (-) on the end it means that there is one more electron and it causes the molecule to become negative.





Then, determine if the molecule has no oxygen, saturated with oxygen, or very saturated. I am still unsure about this, but non-oxygenated molecules names end in "ite" saturated in "ate" and very saturated have "ate" at the end and "per" in the front.





If there is an hydrogen atom (H) at the very front then it is almost always an acid. (eg HCL - Hydrochloric acid)





I just memorized the most important ones and then just try to follow these rules the best I can. Sorry I am not an expert, but I hope this helps!

qigong

No comments:

Post a Comment